Thursday, September 4, 2008

Steroids, Sports and the Ethics of Winning

The use of anabolic steroids increases the athlete's chance of getting liver cancer. Heavy or prolonged use can cause psychological and emotional problems—so-called "steroid rage."Steroids enable heavy lifting, tendon tears and osteoarthritis are common ailments. Why do people use them? The answer to that question is also straightforward. They make you bigger, faster, and stronger. And they work perfectly well in anybody who's training heavily.Society cares because steroid use is a form of cheating. Since steroids work so well, they create an unfair advantage for those who take them, and this breaks the social contract athletes have implicitly agreed to: We are going to have a fair contest. Steroids are still ubiquitous, and one of the problems is that we let people use them. Steroid use is part of this whole youthful delusion that says, "If I just do this for a period of my life, I'll be fine. I'll smoke until I'm older; I'll only binge drink in college; I'll be anorexic or bulimic so I can run, and then I'll stop being that way and I'll go on and have a wonderful life."The only things that work to discourage doping are testing and penalties. You can talk about personal responsibility until you're blue in the face, but to stop steroid use, testing is necessary. Cocaine and steroids have ceased to be big problems in professional football because of testing.

Sources : www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ethicalperspectives/steroids-ethics.html

Date : 25 August 2004

Written by : Michael Dillingham, team physician for the San Francisco 49ers and Santa Clara University

No comments: